[header text=”Instructions on How to purchase a domain name and set up a web hosting account.”]
A domain name is a unique url that will be your address on the internet. For example www.google.com or www.rogerdumas.com.
A web host is a company that will “serve” your files to anyone who asks to access them. Your website will reside on their server. You will need a username and password to access your account.
I use 1&1 as my web hosting company. They are a German company with excellent customer service and excellent prices!
Instructions to create domain name and open 1&1 account:
1. Go to www.1and1.com.
2. In the box where it says “enter your domain name here” enter your domain name of choice. For example “tamaramoxham” It will add the .com on the end.
3. Then press “continue”
4. You will now be on the web hosting page. Sign up for the 0.99 per month package. This price will be for one year. The next year the price goes up to 4.99 per month.
5. Then you will see a page where they will ask you if you want to buy more domain names, just choose, no thanks and proceed.
6. Then they will ask you if you want an e-shop, say no thanks and press continue.
7. Just say no thanks to all the offers, because we will set up an ecommerce site for you and all they offer with the cheapest package!
8. When you get to the shopping cart choose continue.
9. Provide customer information and address
10. Choose a password
11. Enter your credit card.
12. Save the information. Send the customer ID number and your password to your web developer. They will set up your website using this information for you.
If you have any questions or problems, we can help you! Just call and we can do it together.